Policies and Sustainable Development
This projects, concerning the linkages between the 2030 Agenda and local policies, contributes not only to disseminate the culture of sustainable development and to increase the awareness of institutions and civil society in terms of the challenges faced by the 2030 Agenda, but also and mainly to support decision-makers in the choice of the most appropriate policies to adopt in each territory. Indeed, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei’s effort is finalized at supporting at empirical and practical level both public and private bodies towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The sub-program “Policies and Sustainable Development” will be implemented through two lines of research:
- SDGs SIE Funds Index: The project aims at scouting national and European partners for the validation of the model “UN 2030 Agenda Assessment”, already applied to the Italian National Recovery and Resilience Plan (NRRP) and adapted to the National Strategy for Sustainable Development (NSDS) of 2017. The respective application to the 2021-2027 Programming and extension of the model with the integration of regional input-output matrices will follow.
- Sustainable Development in mountain areas: The research project – in partnership with the University of Verona – aims at analysing and assessing the potentiality of mountain areas in terms of promoting sustainable development models through the indicators and targets of the 2030 Agenda, but also through a participatory approach with the involvement of the various stakeholders, both from the public and the academic sectors. Moreover, collaborations with Fondazione Lombardia per l’Ambiente are expected and evaluated.
The project aims to:
- Elaborate a quantitative analysis for the Agenda 2030 localization at local and national scale;
- Increase the awareness of social society concerning sustainability-related topics;
- Support different actors, whether they are public or private policy-makers in the definition of socio-economic and environmental policies to adopt in the respective territories.
SDGs SIE Funds Index: The project aims at the elaboration and application of a model for monitoring and evaluating the spending sustainability of the Regional Operational Programs, co-financed by the European Union in the context of the Cohesion Policy. Specifically, this is embodied in the construction of a synthetic sustainability index of the Operational Programs co-financed by the ESI Funds, based on 143 fields of intervention which can be found in Annex I of the Proposal for a Regulation Communication COM(2018) 375 final of the European Commission for period 2021-2027.
Upon approval of the new Regulation 1060/2021, the model was updated considering the 182 intervention fields contained in the document. In addition, it was applied to the Italian National Recovery and Resilience Plan (NRRP) and adapted on the 2017 Italian National Sustainable Development Strategy (NSDS).
The planned activities are the following:
- Calibration and validation of the sustainability assessment model of the Regional Operational Programs (ROPs) co-financed by the EU in the context of the Cohesion Policy, referring to the SDGs of the UN 2030 Agenda, to the NSDS and, where compatible, to the Regional Sustainable Development Strategy (RSDS);
- Application of the model to the regional ERDF and ESF+ programs for the programming period 2021-2027;
- Activation of partnerships with other subjects for the application of the model in other contexts;
- Extension of the model with the integration of regional input-output matrices;
- Organization and sharing on a national and international scale of the solutions identified, through suitable measures of participation and discussion within the national and European Environmental Authorities and Managing Authorities networks and the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
Sustainable Development in mountain areas: Scaling the SDGs measurement at the level of Italian mountain municipality, while identifying and selecting for each dimension of sustainability the indicators which are most suitable to reflect the specificity of those territories, the project aims at developing a tool encompassing the complexity of the challenges emerging from the 2030 Agenda and its SDGs, facing the different dimensions of sustainable development – environment, society and economy – without neglecting the role of policies.