16th Annual BIOECON Conference: Biodiversity, Ecosystem Services and Sustainability
09:00 - 18:00
The 16th Annual BIOECON Conference will be of interest to both researchers and policy makers working on issues broadly in the area of biodiversity, ecosystem services, sustainable development and natural capital, in both developed and developing countries.
The conference takes a broad interest in the area of resource management, development and conservation, including but not limited to: the role of biodiversity and ecosystem services in economic development, plant genetic resources and food security issues, deforestation and development, fisheries and institutional adaptation, development and conservation, wildlife conservation, and international trade and regulation. The conference will have sessions on economic development, growth and biodiversity conservation, as well as on institutions and institutional change pertaining to the management of living resources.
Papers are specially invited on the themes of:
- Natural capital and wealth accounting
- Policy evaluation of biodiversity-related policies
- Institutional frameworks for resource conservation (property rights, market instruments etc.)
- Valuation methodology and its application to biodiversity conservation
- Behavioural economics in biodiversity policy design – Evaluation of conservation policy successes and failures
- Issues of governance and management of natural resources in developing countries
- Development, growth and resource constraints, especially in relation to food security
- Resources management, distribution, development, poverty alleviation
- Institution-building for provision of global public goods
In addition, two expert policy panels will be held related to this theme. The first will focus on green growth and natural capital accounting as they pertain to biodiversity and ecosystem services. The second will rise to the challenge raised by a keynote speaker in last year’s BIOECON conference in focussing on the impact of climate change on biodiversity and ecosystems and the appropriate policy response.
Keynote speakers for the 16th BIOECON Conference are:
Only complete papers may be submitted for presentation within the conference. Electronic copies should be sent to Kristine Kjeldsen (at Kristine.Kjeldsen@graduateinstitute.ch) no later than 31st May 2014. Please include Abstract, JEL Codes and Keywords with your submission. Acceptance of papers will be notified by email by 2nd June 2014.