UNFCCC Bonn Climate Change Talks: "A different approach to climate policy: the optimal balance between mitigation and adaptation"
13:00 - 14:30
Sunday, 11 April 2010 - h.13.00 - 14.30
Ughetta Molin Fop, email@example.com
Francesco Bosello and Enrica De Cian
The first round of climate change negotiations after the Copenhagen Climate Change Conference, held in December 2009, will take place in Bonn, Germany from 9 to 11 April 2010.
Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei invites you to the Side Event: "A different approach to climate policy: the optimal balance between mitigation and adaptation".
An efficient approach integrates these two options, and identifies the optimal distribution of mitigation and adaptation efforts though space and time. With surprising results highlighted in this session.
Presentation I: "Adaptation to climate change: how much will it cost? Evidence from state-of-the-art literature", by Francesco Bosello, University of Milan, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei and Euro-Mediterranean Centre for Climate Change.
This presentation will provide a brief introduction on how adaptation has been treated in the context of international negotiations for climate change. It will then provide a clear picture on what are the costs of adaptation, globally and regionally, including sector-specific information, by presenting the latest estimates available in literature. Finally, the main future challenges will be outlined.
Presentation II: "Is adaptation the unspoken outcome of Copenhagen? Choosing the Optimal Portfolio between adaptation and mitigation", by Enrica De Cian, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, Euro-Mediterranean Centre for Climate Change and University of Venice.
This presentation will show results from a recent study carried out at Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei on the relationship between adaptation and mitigation. It will describe the trade-off, but also the strategic complementarity between these two strategies which is exactly the reason for a joint approach to climate change. It will illustrate how adaptation can play an important role even in the presence of stringent mitigation targets. Regional results and the scope for international cooperation on adaptation will also be discussed.
The programme is based on the following publications, which will be circulated in a CD room at the event:
- Francesco Bosello “Adaptation, Mitigation and “Green” R&D to Combat Global Climate Change. Insights From an Empirical Integrated Assessment Exercise” FEEM Working Paper No. 22.2010
- Enrica De Cian, Alice Favero “Fairness, Credibility and Effectiveness in the Copenhagen Accord: An Economic Assessment” FEEM Working Paper No. 21.2010
- Francesco Bosello, Carlo Carraro, Enrica De Cian “Climate Policy and the Optimal Balance between Mitigation, Adaptation and Unavoided Damage” FEEM Working Paper No. 32.2010
- Francesco Bosello, Alessandra Goria “Adaptation to Climate Change: how much will it cost?” FEEM Policy Briefs 2009.05
- Francesco Bosello, Carlo Carraro, Enrica De Cian (2009) “An Analysis of Adaptation as a Response to Climate Change” Copenhagen Consensus Center
Please visit the UNFCCC Bonn Climate Change Talks official website for more information and a schedule overview.