Project, financial management and control officer
Job Title: Project, financial management and control officer
Type of contract: Collaboration (co.co.co.) contract
Duration: Indicative 12 months, potentially extendable (length and level to be defined in relation to the characteristics and skills of the candidate)
Salary: Competitive/to be defined in relation to the characteristics and skills of the candidate
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application deadline: Until the position is filled
Ref. number: UPE-MANAG-FIN.02.2022
Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM), founded in 1989, is a non-profit, policy-oriented, international research centre and a think-tank producing high-quality, innovative, interdisciplinary and scientifically sound research on sustainable development. It contributes to the quality of decision-making in public and private spheres through analytical studies, policy advice, scientific dissemination and high-level education. Thanks to its international network, FEEM integrates its research and dissemination activities with those of the best academic institutions and think tanks around the world.
The candidate will work in FEEM’s Fundraising and Projects office and will assist in a series of tasks related to the management of research projects. In particular, the candidate will be requested to:
- Carry out project management tasks and related activities of research projects (negotiation of contracts, legal, administrative and financial management, cost reporting and auditing);
- Provide general administrative support to FEEM’s Research Programmes;
- Provide general budget control support;
- Monitor the financial, administrative and scientific deadlines of research projects, by updating and maintaining the internal agenda; provide administrative and management support to researchers (including the preparation of the management reports, events organisation etc.); carry out project cost-reporting activities;
- Prepare the documentation for auditing processes that are regularly conducted on the projects financed by the European Commission (Horizon Europe, etc.) and other funders; regularly check and archive the projects’ financial and scientific documentation required for auditing purposes; check its consistency with internal accounting procedures and with the funders’ rules;
- Monitor project budget expenditures on a regular basis, alert on discrepancies between project budgets and actual expenditures;
- Guarantee information flows between researchers and the administration on the financial and management aspects of the research projects;
- Perform other related duties as required, particularly in terms of support in fundraising activities (development and submission of applications, negotiation of grant agreements with financing bodies and partner organisations etc.) and in internal audit and control procedures (for balance sheet elaboration).
Qualifications and experience
A relevant academic degree or qualification is essential.
Relevant and extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in project and financial management of EU and non-EU funded projects, preferably in organisations active in international activities/projects.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Italian, additional languages representing an added value (if any, please specify);
- Strong analytical skills;
- Experience in control and audit activities is an asset;
- Extensive experience in the management and financial reporting of Horizon Europe projects. Management and financial reporting of other types of funding (Erasmus+, indirect EU funding etc.) is an asset;
- Proficiency in basic computer skills (Windows; Ms Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Internet), additional skills representing an added-value (if any, please specify);
- Capacity to identify, analyse, synthesise issues/problems from different perspectives and opinions;
- Previous experience in preparation and submission of funding applications particularly in terms of developing all non-scientific contents of applications (management, communication, budget etc.), including the administrative and financial sections and documents desirable.
- Proven ability to operate with multidisciplinary/international teams;
- Strong commitment in implementing the tasks and continuously improve him/herself;
- Efficiency in meeting deadlines and in achieving results;
- Ability to work both independently with minimum supervision and in team;
- Good communications skills, both written and oral; ability to establish/maintain good relationships;
- Good understanding of sustainable development related issues is desirable;
How to apply
FEEM values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background.
Your application should consist of a full curriculum vitae and a covering letter (max 1 page) explaining briefly how your profile, skills and experience meet the specifications outlined in the job description and outlining your interest in and vision for the role.
Applicants can submit their application here. CV without a motivation letter will not be considered.
Please mention ref: UPE-MANAG-FIN.02.2022 in the application.